Monday, March 25, 2013

A Thought on High Heels


A few weeks ago, I went shopping with Ranya and her sister Manal. As we were walking to Manal’s car, I was very aware of the sound of my heels striking the pavement. 

“Hee hee, I like wearing high heels.”

 Ranya asked why (I don’t think I’ve ever seen her willingly wear high heels), and I said that I feel confident in them, partly because they make me taller and partly because I like the noise they make when I walk.

By the time we made it to the store, I’d had some time to reflect and let the conversation soak in…and it occurred to me that high heels are only appropriate and reasonable in an environment with many paved surfaces. You don’t wear heels when you know you’re going to walk through a lot of grass or mud because a) it’s going to ruin the shoe and b) you won’t be able to walk effectively anyway because the heel will keep sinking into the soft surface. In that way, my shoe choice is linked to things like the heat island effect and human separation from nature! (Not to mention the ways that they probably perpetuate sexist principles…but that’s not my area of expertise, and it’s off-topic, so forget it.) I’m probably not going to stop wearing those types of shoes anytime soon, but I definitely did change the way that I think about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment